Had a bit of a scare from my server yesterday. It started throwing all kinds of errors about one of my hard drives. When I unmounted it, it wouldn’t mount again, fsck woudn’t recognize it and fdisk didn’t think it was a drive. Then I noticed another one was gone too. Strangely, both on the same ide channel.

So, I pulled it out of the closet where it sits, took it appart (the Antec case is sweet for getting quick access to everything), swapped the ide cable (and which one was master) and fired her up again. And, presto-chango everything seems to be working again.

No error messages, no funny sounds. I’ve got it sitting on my desk for a while to make sure it dosen’t go nutso again, but hopefully it was just a loose/buggered ide cable.