After putting up my last post about Cyptonomicon I ran across 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. I can’t say as I’m very impressed with the list, a few things aren’t on there that I’d expect. I’ve read about 31 of the books on that list that I noticed.
So, instead of following someone elses list I’m going to make a couple of my own. Feel free to follow along at home, or in your blog, or in the comments.
Away we go. There are three lists, Currently Reading (only one, not really a list, but who’s getting technical?), Top 10 books you’ve read, Top 10 you want to read (no re-reads). Ordering, at least for me, is random. I also list some trilogies as single book sets.
Top 10 Books I’ve Read
- Lord of the Rings – J.R.R Tolkien
- Ender’s Game – Orson Scott Card
- Sandman – Neil Gaiman
- Fionavar Tapestry – Guy Gavriel Kay
- Microserfs – Douglas Coupland
- Starship Troopers – Robert A. Heinlein
- Blindness – Jose Saramago
- Midsummer Nights Dream – William Shakespeare
- Fight Club – Chuck Palahniuk
- Altered Carbon – Richard Morgan
Top 10 Books I Want to Read
- The Illuminatus! Trilogy – Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson
- Foucault’s Pendulum – Umberto Eco
- Godel, Escher, Bach – Douglas Hofstadter
- Spook Country – William Gibson
- Black Man – Richard Morgan
- Ulysses – James Joyce
- Tao Te Ching – Lao Tzu
- Holy Blood, Holy Grail – Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln
- The Children of Men – P.D. James
- Dune – Frank Herbert
Those are my three lists. Now, lets have yours. I’m always looking for new books to add to my shelves. Just don’t tell Stacy I said that.